Sales Territory Alignment, Design, Optimization and Mapping
Sales organizations often change. Sales management needs to change sales territories as well. Key customers, sales people, sales managers, products, and competitors come and go.
Each of these factors impacts sales productivity and creates the need for sales territory analysis. Sometimes just a small sales territory realignment can have a big impact on your sales force productivity.
- Sales territory management is a critical and ongoing process to help maximize sales productivity and revenue. When was the last time your company underwent a sales territory alignment project or created new sales territory maps?
Is Your Sales Force Productive?
Optimized sales territories that are compact in size and aligned to each other without gaps will help you achieve a number of measurable and sustainable benefits including:
- Better customer coverage and customer service leading to increased productivity and sales revenue
- Increased sales by prioritizing accounts with the most potential
- Reduced costs of sales through shorter travel times - often called 'windshield time' - and associated travel expenses
- Improved morale, performance and tenure of sales people due to equitable distribution of accounts and a level playing field for achieving rewards
- Competitive advantage through the ability to reach new opportunities faster than your competitors
If Your Territories are Not Balanced . . .
Studies show that 80% of companies are missing 2-7% of unrealized sales because their territories are misaligned. Poorly aligned and unbalanced territories have negative consequences. They include:
- Missed revenue from not reaching all potential customers
- Higher sales costs due to excessive travel times and expenses
- Inefficiencies due to duplication of efforts among sales team
- Low morale and high sales force turnover due to inequitable territories that reward the size of the territory over individual effort
- Poor or excessive customer coverage due to territories too large or small
- Sales management missing revenue goals
What to Do About Your Sales Territories
Start by downloading "Three Steps to More Productive Territories.” This white paper outlines a valuable process for significantly improving the performance of your sales territories. It contains practical advice written in plain English. And it will help you make a more informed choice about your sales territory alignment options. View it now.